Vinyl flooring can closely resemble the look and feel of hardwood flooring while offering a low-maintenance surface. To sum it up – carpet, engineered hardwood, laminate, or vinyl flooring are all great options to install over a concrete substrate that can last for years when properly maintained.
How do you update an unfinished basement on a budget?
- Instead of finishing the floor, paint it.
- Instead of finishing the walls, hang curtains or sheets to cover them.
- Instead of finishing the ceiling, spray-paint it.
- Instead of purchasing expensive light fixtures, buy a mix of plug-in floor and table lamps.
How can I make my basement look nice without finishing it?
- 10 Ideas for your Unfinished Basement.
- 1 | Hide Mechanicals.
- 2 | Install Electrical Outlets.
- 3 | Deep Clean the Basement.
- 4 | Add Overhead Lighting.
- 5 | Paint the Exposed Ceiling.
- 6 | Paint the Basement Walls.
- 7 | Paint the Basement Concrete Floors.
What adds the most value when finishing a basement?
- Additional Bedroom.
- Additional Bathroom.
- Great Return on Investment.
- Way to Add Space if Zoning Codes Don’t Allow Other Additions.
- Income Property.
- Add Recreation/Storage/Guest Space to Home.
- Sweat Equity.
- Don’t Have to Use High End Materials.
How can I make my basement stylish?
- Warm things up with a Modern Faux Fireplace.
- Set up Extra Seating Behind the Couches.
- Turn the Space into a Craft Room.
- Shiplap the Walls for a Cozier Feel.
- Install a Formal Projector Screen.
- Opt for Cinema-Themed Decor.
What is the cheapest way to finish a basement floor?
Concrete. Concrete flooring can be the least expensive choice in a basement because it’s already there. You might be able to give it a good cleaning, maybe grind down some rough spots, and call it good.
How can I cover my basement walls without drywall?
- Basement Panels.
- Wood Fiberboard.
- Vinyl and Wallpaper.
- Stone Veneer.
- Exposed Brick.
How do I make my basement feel like home?
How do you decorate a concrete basement wall?
- using drywall and paint to cover concrete walls.
- painting the concrete or block wall.
- Brick veneer panels for basement walls.
- cover your walls with real barnboards.
- combination weathered wood and painted drywall.
- use wallpaper to finish your basement walls.
Should I paint my basement walls?
I am talking about do not paint your foundation walls like concrete, brick, and block. Remember, most foundation walls allow lots of moisture and humidity into your basement. Many paints are not strong enough to hold back the hydrostatic pressure.
Why do people not finish basement?
Use As Storage Some families prefer using the basement as a storage space for unused devices or nostalgic items that can’t be thrown away just yet. A basement used as a storage space does not need to be complete as the space won’t have as much traffic as other areas.
Do appraisers look in basements?
If you have a functional attic, basement or garage, your appraiser will factor those assets into your overall home value. In most cases, the square footage of these areas won’t count towards your total home’s square footage.
Is finishing a basement worth it?
Many people wonder if finishing their basement is worth the time, effort, and money to remodel their downstairs space. To answer that directly, yes, finishing your basement will almost always increase the value of your property. The standard return is around 70%, according to Remodeling.HW.net.
What every basement should have?
- Focus on functionality.
- Install proper lighting.
- Consider flooring options.
- Create organized storage.
- Include a wine cellar or bar.
- Add a bathroom.
- Choose comfortable & stylish furniture and decor.
- Ensure proper air circulation.
What should I put in my finished basement?
- Home Bar. From sophisticated wine cellar to neighborhood pub to eclectic cocktail lounge–whatever you’re serving can be fun and festive in your own home bar.
- Game Room.
- Den or Informal Living Room.
- Wine Cellar.
- Theater / Media Room.
- Extra Storage.
- Workout Room / Home Gym.
What type of flooring is best for basements?
The best type of flooring for basements is vinyl. Vinyl flooring can come in the form of vinyl plank and vinyl tile, giving it the ability to look nearly identical to hardwood and stone products with the added benefit of being waterproof. Vinyl flooring is made of PVC making it durable and waterproof.
Can you put peel and stick flooring on concrete?
Concrete Only To install peel-and-stick vinyl directly onto a concrete sub-floor, the concrete must be primed. Use a leveling compound to ensure there are no high spots or dips in the sub-floor then sand the leveling compound smooth before applying the primer.
What type of flooring is best over concrete?
- Engineered Wood. Natural hardwood flooring offers undeniable beauty and durability.
- Vinyl. As a longstanding choice for kitchens and bathrooms, vinyl has a reputation for extreme water resistance.
Whats cheaper than drywall?
Plywood and Sheet Wood Plywood is the cheapest alternative to drywall on this list and allows you to finish a room with a certain flair without taking on the expenses of wood planks, veneer or drywall.
What is the cheapest wall covering?
Plywood. If you’re looking for cheap panels for walls, plywood is inexpensive, easy to install, and durable.
How can I make my concrete walls look nice?
Beautify exterior concrete walls, such as retaining walls, by applying a layer of stucco to create a textured appearance. Add a “cap” to the top of the wall if desired by attaching small slabs of flat, natural stone to the wall top using the correct adhesive.
How can I make my basement not look like a basement?
Using splashes of bright colors is a surefire way to remove that bleary-eyed “basement” feeling. These colors can still work into whichever style or color scheme is being chosen. Highlights via pillows, area rugs, hanging wall art and decorations all quickly liven up the scene.
How do I make my basement feel cozier?
Warm Up the Color Avoid using bright white in a basement, even on walls and ceilings, because it can make the space feel colder. Instead, choose light tones that have some warmth, such as creams or caramels. Add color and warmth in your accessories and furniture.
How can I make my basement feel hot and cozy?
As important as it is to make the basement feel warm by raising its actual temperature, it’s equally important to make it look warm. Decorate the area with cozy furniture, ambient lighting, textured rugs, and inviting throw blankets and pillows. This creates an inviting atmosphere that shouts warmth and comfort.
What color is good for basement walls?
The best color for basements walls tend to be lighter shades of neutral colors. These colors usually consist of bright whites, light greys or even colors with light brown like sand stone. Sticking with these neutral colors help the room feel open and avoid the common feeling of being boxed in.