The Pre-Design Questionnaire. We have put together a list of questions for anyone thinking of building or renovating a home. You can print these questions out and answer them as a starting point to the planning process, or just use the list to help you clarify for yourself what your needs and goals are.
How do you renovate a house checklist?
- Upgrading your gutters and downpipes.
- Refurbishing your roof, especially if there are leaks.
- Painting your walls, windows and doors.
- Replacing windows with double or triple glazed options.
- Restoring decaying timber.
- Landscaping your garden.
- Adding a new driveway.
How do I prepare for a home remodeling project?
- Take “Before” Pictures.
- Use Up All Your Stuff.
- Figure Out If You Need Outside Storage.
- Decide What’s Going Where.
- Talk To Your Contractor.
- Make A Path.
- Let The Neighbors Know.
- Think About Security.
What comes first in a home renovation?
Sequence of works. In general, work from the top to the bottom of a room. For example, start with the ceilings, then the walls and the floors. “If you are laying new floors, it is best to have the painting done first to avoid splashes or spills,” says Dickins.
What should I fix first in an old house?
Our Answer. You are absolutely on the right path by tackling the roof and gutters first. There’s no sense in working on other areas until the home is protected from water damage. I’d also suggest checking all window and door flashing (as well as on the roof) to make sure it’s moving water away from the house.
What questions should I ask a client when designing a house?
- How large is my site, and what size of house can I build?
- Are there any architectural guidelines for my community?
- What is my budget, and what can I build?
- How many stories do I want to build?
- What type of construction do I want?
What questions should a contractor ask a client?
- 1) What are you looking for in a builder?
- 2) What’s your budget?
- 3) How often do you like to receive updates?
- 4) How do you determine success?
- 5) What are some obstacles or changes you see coming?
What is included in pre-design?
Pre-design is the phase of analysis that occurs after some form of funding is available and before design begins. During the pre-design phase, studies are done to analyze space requirement issues, the constraints and opportunities of the proposed site, and the cost versus the budget.
How do you survive a remodeling project?
- Plan Carefully. 1/11.
- Choose the Right Season. 2/11.
- Declutter and Host a Yard Sale. 3/11.
- Rent a Storage Container. 4/11.
- Minimize Time Spent Shopping. 5/11.
- Keep a Daily Schedule. 6/11.
- Plan for Babysitting and Pet Care. 7/11.
- Consider Your Air Quality. 8/11.
What is the best way for home renovation?
- Lower Your Living Room.
- Use the Area Under the Stairs.
- Maximize Space with Baseboard Drawers.
- Don’t Forget the Exterior.
- Create More Usable Space.
- Add or Upgrade the Kitchen Island.
- Be Mindful of Colors.
- Create a Focal Point with Lightning.
How do you manage a renovation project?
What is the difference between remodeling and renovating?
However, for professionals working in one or more of these industries, these terms actually entail two very different things. Essentially, the difference between them is that a renovation refers to restoring something to a previous state, while a remodel refers to creating something new.
When remodeling When do you paint?
We recommend painting once all major structural and functional work is done, but before new flooring or carpet is installed. Essentially, floors come last so you can avoid the heavier wear and tear multiple contractors, tools and dust the full renovation brings.
What order should I renovate my kitchen?
- Configure plumbing and electrical.
- Paint the room.
- Install new flooring.
- Add kitchen cabinets.
- Install countertops.
- Place large appliances.
- Fasten cabinet hardware.
- Put in the backsplash.
Where do you start when renovating an old house?
- Assess the Old House. First, hire the services of a surveyor to assess the property and identify issues.
- Research the History.
- Vision and Plan.
- Consult an Architect.
- Structural Issues and Repairs.
- Restore Period Features.
- Plumbing and Electrical Updates.
- Fix the Walls and Redo the Floors.
How long does a house typically last?
Without special care and maintenance, the maximum lifespan of a house is about 200 years. Yes, there are historical buildings that are far older, but those have received special maintenance and preventive care that few other buildings receive.
Is a 20 year old house too old?
While the fact that a house is over 20 years old should certainly not discourage you from buying it, there are still some things that you should know. Current laws dictate certain regulations in newly-built residences. These include important measures for safety and energy efficiency.
What questions should you ask clients in an interior design questionnaire?
- What design style(s) do you prefer?
- What design style(s) do you absolutely dislike?
- What colors do you like or dislike?
- What patterns, if any, do you like?
- Do you have any inspirational images you can share?
What architects should ask clients?
- What kind of project do you want to design?
- What’s your short and long-term plan for this place?
- Do you have any sustainability or energy goals for the project?
- What’s your budget?
- What’s your timeline?
- Who will use the facility?
What should I bring to my first architect meeting?
- Soils Report (Geological Report)
- Topological and Boundary Survey (Site Survey)
- Program for the home.
- Project Budget.
What questions might you ask a client when starting a new project?
- What are the objectives/goals of this project?
- Who are the key stakeholders?
- What defines success for the project?
- What are the key milestones?
- What are the biggest obstacles to getting the project done?
What are the 5 basic architectural services?
There are FIVE BASIC DESIGN PHASES to architectural services: (1) Schematic Design, (2) Design Development, (3) Construction Documents, (4) Bidding, and (5) Construction Observation.
What are the 5 phases of architectural services?
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) defines Five Phases of Architecture that are commonly referred to throughout the industry: Schematic Design, Design Development, Contract Documents, Bidding, Contract Administration.
What are the 5 phases of a design project?
The short form of the design thinking process can be articulated in five steps or phases: empathize, define, ideate, prototype and test. Let’s briefly explore each of these phases in relation to a practical design process.
Why is remodeling so stressful?
Part of the reason renovations are so stressful is that they can really do a number on your daily routine. Whether it’s putting your kitchen out of commission or pushing you to sleep in the guest room, the added stress of being out of your regular groove is enough to seriously raise your blood pressure.