Typical Craftsman-style Features Wood, stone or stucco siding. Historic building materials include clapboard, shingle, stone, brick and clinker brick. Low-pitched roofline. Wide eaves with triangular brackets. Exposed roof rafters.
How do you modernize a craftsman exterior?
- Refinish original hardwood floors.
- Build or refinish wood paneling, beams, and built-in cabinets.
- Update or expand your porch.
- Choose earthy, natural colors.
- Reface an original fireplace or add a wood stove.
- Add creative exterior lighting.
How do you modernize a front porch?
- Build a new porch.
- Add a roof.
- Bring in new seating.
- Screen in the porch.
- Install a swing.
- Put in fans or heating.
- Stain or paint the existing porch.
- Add a railing.
How do you make an old porch look nice?
Do Craftsman style homes have shutters?
Craftsman-style homes have experienced a resurgence because of their versatility and emphasis on quality. Although Shaker shutters are one of the most frequently used styles for Craftsman homes, this type of home works with virtually any shutter style.
What does craftsman style look like?
The common features of the Craftsman style include low-pitched gable (triangular) roofs, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and beams, heavy, tapered columns, patterned window panes and a covered front porch. Craftsman house exteriors emphasize harmony with surrounding nature.
What is the best flooring for a porch?
While natural fir is the traditional choice for a porch floor, good wood alternatives include cedar, mahogany and Brazilian Ipe. You can add interest and texture to your porch floor by mixing woods or laying boards in a creative pattern.
How can I make my concrete porch look better?
- Unify your porch and steps with stamped concrete.
- Give a plain porch a decorative facelift.
- Engrave it to look like natural stone.
- Mimic brick with stamping or stenciling.
- Do a wood plank fake-out.
- Start over with a new porch design.
How do you convert a porch?
How make the porch look nice on a budget?
- Hang Some Drapes. 1/10.
- Apply a Little Paint. 2/10.
- Add a Porch Swing. 3/10.
- Cover the Floor. 4/10.
- Suspend Some Lights. 5/10.
- Install a Ceiling Fan. 6/10.
- Refresh Your Furniture. 7/10.
- Festoon with Flowers. 8/10.
How do I upgrade my back porch?
How do you upgrade a back porch?
- Screen-In Porch and Patio Enclosures. A screened porch is the best of both worlds.
- Patio Furniture.
- Deck and Patio Plants.
- Patio Covers, Awnings, and Exterior Shades.
- Hand Railings.
- Porch Lights.
- Three-Season Room.
What time period is Craftsman style?
Craftsman homes are an American architectural tradition that emerged and spread primarily between 1900 and 1929.
What are Craftsman exterior paint colors?
- Moss Green & White.
- Light Blue & Warm Woods.
- Dark Gray & White.
- Cream & Blue.
- Navy Blue & White.
- Black & Natural Wood.
- Light Green & White.
Is white a Craftsman color?
White is a great exterior paint color for a Craftsman home because it’s crisp and clean, and emphasizes the horizontal lines that make this architectural style so remarkable.
What makes a house a craftsman style house?
Craftsman-style homes feature a type of architecture that came from the Arts and Crafts movement of the mid-19th century. They are characterized by wide, low layouts, gabled roofs, open floor plans, wood framing, and front porches that feature support columns and exposed rafters.
How do you make Craftsman style exterior shutters?
- Step 1: Route Boards. Select two of the best looking boards that have no knots on the edges.
- Step 2: Build Shutter Frame.
- Step 3: Attach Planks to Back of Shutter.
- Step 4: Stain or Paint Shutter.
- Step 5: Remove Old Shutters or Remove Old Rails.
- Step 6: Attach New Shutters to House.
- Step 7: Attach Decorative Gate Hinges.
How do I make my house look like a Craftsman?
- Molding and Wainscoting. Molding and wainscoting are the wood mascots of a craftsman home.
- Fireplace with a Heavy Mantel.
- Built-in Shelves or Cabinets.
- Contrasting Color.
- Craftsman Furniture.
- Vintage Accents.
Is Craftsman style out?
The origins of Craftsman style houses remain mostly in California, where the style is seen throughout suburbs and side streets from San Diego to Los Angeles to San Francisco. Extensions of the style exist all over the country though.
What is the difference between mission style and Craftsman style?
Arts & Crafts Furniture is Craftsman Furniture built slightly lighter and with a little more flair. Mission Furniture is Craftsman Furniture built lighter and with the simplistic design concept taken to the point of being austere.
Are Craftsman homes good quality?
The inside of a Craftsman style home tends to have plenty of custom woodwork, custom molding, and a simple, open design. The designers showcase natural building materials and high-quality wood and construction. They are functional and very livable.
What can I cover my concrete porch floor with?
- Stamped Concrete Overlay. If you want to cover a concrete porch, a stamped concrete overlay is an attractive option.
- Slate. If you prefer the look of natural stone, slate is an ideal option for covering your concrete porch.
- Interlocking Tile.
- Brick Pavers.
What is the least slippery outdoor flooring?
What is the least slippery outdoor flooring? Concrete, concrete pavers, brick pavers, and rubber tiles are all incredibly slip-resistant and durable. Ceramic and porcelain, on the other hand, are known to be quite slippery.
What can I put over concrete floor outside?
- Paint a Pattern. Yes, you can paint your concrete slab.
- Lay Decking Flooring. Did you know you can lay decking over a concrete slab?
- Add Curves With Pavers.
- Lay Slate Tiles.
- Stain the Concrete to Look Like Tile.
- Add a Beautiful Outdoor Rug.
- Paint Concrete.
- Dress it Up.
How do you cover an old concrete porch?
- Play with a palette of paint. Titikul_B/Shutterstock.
- Put a rug on it. Ben Bryant/Shutterstock.
- Breeze blocks make decorating a breeze. Elena Belgo/Shutterstock.
- Coat it with colored concrete.
- Dress it up with flowers and fruits.
- Go with epoxy.
- Cover it with bricks.
- Use exposed aggregate.