The Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) designation program teaches the technical, business management, and customer service skills essential to competing in the fastest growing segment of the residential remodeling industry: home modifications for the aging-in-place.
What is the most common aging in place remodeling project?
- Better task lighting.
- Curb-less showers.
- Grab bars and railings.
- Non-slip safety flooring.
- Widening doorways to accommodate walkers and wheelchairs.
Who created the CAPS specialty credentialing process?
The Certified Aging in Place Specialist training (CAPS) program was developed by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Remodelers, NAHB Research Center, 50+ Housing Council and the AARP.
How do you renovate for aging in place?
- Make Bathroom Modifications. Ensure that it’s easy to get in and out of the shower.
- Widen Doorways.
- Change Door Knobs & Faucets.
- Install Grab Bars & Handrails.
- Replace Flooring.
- Add A Wheelchair Ramp, Chair Lift or Elevator.
- Adjust Countertops & Shelving.
- Invest in Helpful Technology.
How do seniors design a bathroom?
- Install lever faucets.
- Get a sprayer attachment for your shower-head.
- Install grab bars and rails.
- Raise the height of the toilet.
- Thick rugs for cushioning.
- Non-slip bath mats and rugs.
- Curbless showers and Walk-in bathtubs.
How do I stop capping?
Decreasing main compression force to prevent tablet capping A decrease in main compression force can also reduce capping. When a tablet reaches its maximum compactibility, it won’t increase in strength with additional compression force.
What are column caps used for?
Column caps provide an increased bearing area while securing a wood beam to a wood column. They transfer the load into the wood column and eventually into the foundation, generally eliminating the need for additional brackets or braces. Column caps come in a variety of sizes to accommodate any project.
What is Cap column?
The column cap is always wide from the area of the column top. Its primary purpose is to handle the load-bearing capacity. Besides, it also serves the aim of providing a beautiful visual accent. Nothing can add a great touch to the construction project like natural stone post caps.
What does caps stand for in occupational therapy?
AIP stands for Aging in Place, CAPS stands for Certified Aging in Place Specialist, and NAHB stands for the National Association of Home Builders.
What are some ways in which an occupational therapist can support aging in place?
- Modifications to the home such as grab bars, stair lifts, lower counters, lever-style door handles, or improved lighting.
- Adaptive furniture or equipment to help them remain more independent and safer.
What is meant by aging in place?
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines aging in place as: “the ability to live in one’s own home and community safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age, income, or ability level.”
How do you design a home for the elderly?
- Single-level designs.
- Wheelchair access throughout – especially in the bathrooms.
- Pull-out and pull-down shelving.
- Multi-level counters.
- Remote-control blinds and windows.
- Slip resistance.
- Twist-free faucets and lever door handles.
- Open floor plan.
How can I make my house more elderly friendly?
- Make sure at least one first aid provider is assigned to the home your relative will live in.
- Do your research.
- Consider space, height, and infrastructure modifications to the house.
- Plan for emergency responses.
- Clean the home, removing objects that would not safe to the elderly.
What is better for seniors a tub or shower?
Showers may be preferable because they can provide a more efficient and thorough cleaning. The steady stream of water coming from overhead can make tasks like washing hair or the upper half of the torso and shoulders easier than when seated in a tub.
How do you modify a bathtub for the elderly?
Reducing tub height with a bathtub conversion is a cost-effective way to improve bathroom safety for seniors. Adding grab bars to existing shower and bath spaces helps seniors aging in place to feel more secure. Fold up bath seats and hand-held showers are conveniences that are discreet and dignified.
How can I make my bathtub more senior friendly?
- Installing grab bars in the bathtub area.
- Using mats and/or stickers on tub floor.
- Providing a shower chair or tub transfer bench.
- Using a handheld shower head for bathing.
- Putting nonslip mats right outside the bathtub.
Why is it called capping?
Well, to keep it simple, capping means “to lie.” This slang term comes from the root slang word cap, which is “a lie.” However, it shouldn’t be confused with the other slang meaning of cap, which is “a bullet.” Capping isn’t a new word to TikTok or even Twitter for that matter.
Why is it called no cap?
These terms appear to be rooted in the sense of cap as “top” or “upper limit.” So, no cap has the sense of “no lie,” “no joke,” “for real,” or “not bragging.” The expression is closely associated with slang in Atlanta-area hip-hop.
When did no cap start?
The phrase “no cap” itself may have been popularized in 2017, when Atlanta-based rappers Young Thug & Future released a track called “No Cap,” where they rap about their cars and jewelry, among other things.
What are drop panels?
A drop panel is a projection below the slab used to reduce the amount of negative reinforcement over a column or the minimum required slab thickness, and to increase the slab shear strength.
What are post and column caps?
Bases and caps are an integral part of structural systems. Post and column bases secure the bottom of wood posts or columns to concrete foundation. Post and column caps support beams and transfer the loads from the structure above into the post or column.
What is a stone column called?
Monolithic columns are among the heaviest stones used in architecture. Other stone columns are created out of multiple sections of stone, mortared or dry-fit together.
What are the 3 types of columns?
There are three basic orders, the Doric, the Ionic, and the Corinthian.
What is a capital on top of a pillar?
In architecture the capital (from the Latin caput, or “head”) or chapiter forms the topmost member of a column (or a pilaster). It mediates between the column and the load thrusting down upon it, broadening the area of the column’s supporting surface.
What is the base of a column?
Base. The base is the lowest part or division of a column. Egyptian and Greek Doric columns were typically placed directly on the floor without a base.