How do you modernize a dresser?
- Taper the legs and add white paint for a mid-century look.
- Highlight unique shapes with two different stains.
- Leverage “faults” (and add a bright color)
- Paint it, then add extra sparkle to the drawers.
- Do a “make-under” by removing shiny varnish and re-staining natural wood grain.
- Combine a bold color with natural wood.
How easy is it to update a dresser?
How do you reface an old dresser?
- Step 1: Choose a Stain.
- Step 2: Remove Hardware, Drawers and Clean Surfaces.
- Step 3: Remove Old Finish.
- Step 4: Apply Sanding Sealer.
- Step 5: Start Staining.
- Step 6: Finish It.
How do you make old bedroom furniture look modern?
- Add Furniture Wax. If you have a piece that is stripped already or just could use new wax, consider adding a darkened wax to it.
- Clean It! Sometimes, all your next project needs is a good scrubbing.
- Spray Paint Secondhand Furniture.
- Add New Hardware.
- Swap Out the Legs.
How do you make wood furniture look modern?
- #1. Strip Old Painted Finishes.
- #2. Clean Stain from Your Chairs, Dresser or Tables.
- #3. Add a Fresh Coat of Spray Paint.
- #4. Re-Cover Dining Chairs with a New Cushion.
- #5. Refinishing Furniture.
- #6. Go For Milk Paint.
Do you have to sand dresser before painting?
Do you have to sand furniture before painting? Sanding isn’t always necessary. If you are painting over the same type of paint, sanding isn’t necessary if the furniture is in good condition (not peeling or chipping). However, be sure to wipe any dust or debris from the furniture before painting.
How do you rehab a dresser?
- Clean the dresser really well.
- Fill in scratches, dents, and holes with wood filler.
- Sand the surface.
- Repair veneer.
- Add the final coat: After the paint has dried completely you can put on the last coat of protection.
How much does it cost to refinish a dresser?
It will cost between $300 and $2,000 to refinish your dresser or bedroom dresser set. As with other wooden furniture, the process involves stripping old finishing and applying a new coat. A small dresser is simple, while an entire set costs more and will take longer.
How do you renovate a wood dresser?
- Remove Dresser Drawers and Hardware. The steps for how to refurbish a wood dresser begin with removing some of its components.
- Sand Old Paint or Stain.
- Apply New Paint or Stain.
- Apply a Second Coat.
- Apply a Sealer After Stain.
- Reattach the Hardware.
How do you update old dresser drawers?
How do you update matching bedroom furniture?
- Buy a new mirror.
- Buy (or make) a new headboard/bed.
- Paint your tall dresser to “disappear.”
- Nightstands & long dresser still match.
How do you give old furniture a modern makeover?
How do you restore an old bedroom set?
What can I do with an old dresser?
- Space for a Sink. 1/11. Make a big splash in the bathroom by repurposing an old dresser as a vanity.
- Dressed for Dinner. 2/11.
- Drawer Decor. 3/11.
- Spring Wardrobe. 4/11.
- Tune In. 5/11.
- No Monster Under the Bed. 6/11.
- Open to New Possibilities. 7/11.
- Approach the Bench. 8/11.
How can I make my wood furniture look better?
Is dark wood out of style?
Dark woods Dark wood tones are definitely out of style. Dark floors especially. There’s been a big shift in recent years to light, bright, natural looking wood tones.
Can I just paint over my dresser?
Paint your dresser with a roller, brush, or spray paint. Depending on the type of paint, the dresser can take up to a day to fully dry. Then repaint, adding another coat as needed. If you are adding different colors to create a pattern, use painter’s tape to section off areas.
Is it better to paint or spray paint a dresser?
Spray painting is faster than brush painting. Most spray paint is oil-based and provides a more durable finish than latex paint. Spray paint can be used on practically any surface, including wood, metal, wicker, plastic and resin. Spray paint dries much more quickly than brushed-on paint.
What kind of paint do you use on a dresser?
For furniture, it’s best to use a satin or semigloss finish in either a latex or an oil-based paint. Never leave primer unpainted. If you choose a latex paint, a latex primer is an excellent choice for most uses. It goes on easily and blocks most stains, and it doesn’t have the odor of an oil-based primer.
How do you refurbish wood furniture shabby chic?
Is it worth refinishing wood furniture?
“The basic rule of thumb is, if the piece was made before 1850, you want to do some homework on whether it should be conserved rather than restored — meaning to preserve and stabilize the piece as it is now,” she says. “If it’s been in the family a while, it’s worth finding out before you do some damage.”
Is it better to sand or strip furniture?
As mentioned, it is common for people to assume that they need to sand all this material off; but the truth is, stripping is faster and safer, especially when it comes to removing paint.
How do you know if furniture can be refinished?
- The surface of the wood feels sticky even after it’s been dusted.
- The existing finish has cracked, and the wood underneath is exposed.
- The finish is flaking or chipping off.
- Watermarks, dents, dings, scratches, and blemishes are present.
How do you refinish a dresser without stripping?
- Step 1: Prepare the Surface. Wipe the dresser and drawers down thoroughly with warm, soapy water to remove the grime and oils.
- Step 2: Apply a Stain Blocker.
- Step 3: Paint.
- Step 4: Seal and Protect.